Custom Homes, Easy As 1-2-3-4-5!
Ideas & Dreams
- Bring your scrap book, ideas and dreams to your first meeting here at Diggs Custom Homes. You should have several pictures of home exteriors so that we can get a true idea of your vision for the style of your home. Is it craftsman? How about modern? How much living area are you thinking? If there are only two people in the home, maybe you’ll want less than around 2,000 square feet. If you have lots of little ones, you might be thinking more than 2,000 square feet. If you have a very small building lot, you’ll probably be looking at a 2-story, assuming you need a large home.
- How many bedrooms, bathrooms, will you like? These are the things you should be thinking about.
- INTRODUCTORY MEETING
- You’ll meet with one of our Custom Homes Consultants to discuss the initial components you’ll want in your new custom homes. Things like living area size, budget, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.
- PRELIMINARY PRICING
- Once we’ve collected enough information about your project, items like budget, living area needs, etc., within 24-48 hours we’ll generate a “Preliminary Budget Range” which will give you an idea of what your home will cost to build. While this is not a firm budget, it normally will get you within 10-15% of actual costs.
- If our “Preliminary Cost Range” is within your budget we will then put together an actual “Construction Agreement” based upon your ideas, dreams, living area, and proposed home design. From this point, all components will be given to our Architect to begin creating “Preliminary Drawings”.
- DESIGN PHASE
- Our architect will take your ideas and dreams and create your new home with what is called Preliminary Drawings.
- DESIGN MEETING
- You’ll meet with our Architect and go over your Preliminary Drawings. You’ll be allowed one round of changes to this plan and then another round of fixes and tweaks. Once you have signed off on the Preliminary Drawings, we then create a full set of Construction Drawings.
- APPROVAL MEETING
- You’ll then meet with your Home Consultant to finalize your Construction Drawings and sign off. This will be the version of your dream home that will be used to apply for building permits and what we use to build your new home.
- SELECTION PHASE
- Once we have submitted for building permits and have actually received an approved building permit to start your home, you’ll make appointments with our flooring, lighting, cabinet, and plumbing showrooms to make your selections.
- You’ll be given a form called our Selection Allowance Certificate. It will have a dollar allowance for each category of selections, i.e. lighting, flooring, etc of which you can choose anything you like for your new home at your appointment. Want more than what your allowance calls for? Simply add funds to your allowance for that category and voila! You can order anything you want. No limits!
- CONSTRUCTION PHASE
- Once we have approval and building permits in hand from your local jurisdiction, we’re off and running on the construction of your new home. Assuming all prerequisites are in place, i.e. building permits, temporary power, driveway approach, etc, we’ll schedule your foundation dig out so that we can pour a foundation for your new home.
- CONSTRUCTION WALK-THROUGH
- One the home is framed & roofed, we’ll schedule a walk-through with you to discuss door swings, plumbing, electrical outlets, light switch placement, and cabinet layouts to confirm placement.
- Within a matter of a few months your home will be framed, sided, and roofed. Then plumbing, electrical, heating, insulation, drywall, paint and interior finishes will be completed. Before you know it, you’ll be doing your final walk through before the big day!
- FINAL WALK-THROUGH
- When your home is substantially complete, i.e. everything has been installed except for a few smaller items, we’ll schedule a Final Walk-Through. This may happen before or after jurisdiction Final Occupancy Inspection. We’ll create one list of items to tweak and/or fix… we call this our Punch List.
- PUNCH-LIST & FINAL OCCUPANCY
- It will typically take 3-5 days to complete our Punch-List items.
- During this time, we are also waiting on the local jurisdiction to perform a Final Inspection. If this inspections is approved with no corrections, your local building department will then issue an Occupancy Permit. Once that permit is issued, and there are no more “Punch-List” items for us to fix, you are then free to move-in!
- WARRANTY PERIOD
- Diggs Custom Homes warranties your home from defects for a period of 12 months from issuance of Occupancy Permit. At approximately 11 months after your Occupancy Permit was issued, if you’re in need of any other fixes in your home, our team will make an appointment with you to correct those items.